The BioLector I measures the most common fermentation parameters online while running a cultivation. Additionally, the bench top microbioreactor controls the shaking speed, the temperature inside the cultivation chamber, and the humidity.
/// BioLector® is a registered trademark.
Real time culture monitoring on a parallel scale
The micro fermentation system is based on standard disposable microtiter plate formats and operates with non-invasive, optical sensors. Due to the continuous and rigorous shaking during the optical measurements and during the entire experiment, it is ideally suited for aerobic and anaerobic cultures.
If a high or very low oxygen level is required, the system can be easily upgraded with additional modules, for example for CO2-enriched aeration, or anaerobic conditions.
By adding one of these modules the microbioreactor maintains all existing basic features. An upgrade with multiple modules in one system is possible.
/// Gas Modules
- O2 up regulating module for the up-regulation of oxygen up to 35 %
- O2 down regulating module for the down-regulation of oxygen down to 2 %
- CO2 up regulating module for fermentation with a CO2-controlled gas atmosphere
- Anaerobic cultivation set for cultivating under anaerobic conditions
/// Fluorescence Modules
- LED / filter module for fluorescence measurements for wavelengths between 365 nm - 800 nm.
Up to three additional fluorescence modules can be added; in total, six different ones fit into the system.
For fully-automated high-throughput cultivations, the BioLector will be combined with a liquid handling robotic system. Learn more about the RoboLector
- Cell line and strain screening
- Media screening and optimization
- Fermentation parameter optimization
- Anaerobic and microaerophilic fermentations
- Synthetic and systems biology
- Statistical design of experiments (DoE)
- Growth characterization
- Protein-building kinetics
- High-throughput protein expression
- Enzyme and cell activity tests
- Functional genomics
- Proteomic studies
- Inhibition and toxicity tests
- Quality control
- Real-time kinetics of 48 parallel fermentations
- Microfermentation in standard MTP format
- High-throughput and easy automation
- Broad range for biomass detection (up to 100 g/L CDW, 650 OD600)
- No edge effects
- Continuous shaking operation (no artifacts)
- Defined mass transfer conditions (no O2 limitation)
- Easy scale up to lab-fermenters
- Industry leading data analysis software
- Fast and easy data analysis included
- A valuable tool for PAT and QbD
- Biomass concentration
- pH value
- Dissolved oxygen (DO)
- NAD(P)H and riboflavins
- Fluorescent molecules (GFP, YFP, DsRed, ...)
- Temperature control (5 °C below room temperature) with active cooling
- Humidity control (> 75 % rH)
- Controlled gas atmosphere (CO2, O2, and N2)
- Bacillus subtilis
- Candida spec.
- Clostridium diolis and acetobutylicum
- Corynebacterium glutamicum
- Escherichia coli
- Hansenula polymorpha
- Lactobacillus spec.
- Paracoccus spec.
- Penicillium spec.
- Pichia pastoris
- Photorhabtus luminescens
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Schizosaccharomyces pombe
- Streptomyces spec.
- Tetrahymena spec.
- Vibrio natregiens spec.
- Yarrowia lipolytica
- Zymomonas spec.
- Nicotiana tabacum
- Sf9 and Sf21